Based on recent snow conditions, most areas of the Chugach National Forest normally open to snowmachine use opened December 14 with the exception of Twentymile River, Placer River and Skookum drainages.
In addition to Turnagain and Johnson Pass, other areas open for motorized use include:
· The open area south of Summit Lake and east of the Seward Highway;
· Palmer Creek area near Hope;
· Lost Lake, including Primrose and Lost Lake Trail;
· Forest lands near Cooper Lake and the Upper Russian area;
· Crescent-Carter Lake Area
Reminder: Resurrection Pass area is closed this year to motorized use.
For more information on the the latest openings, browse the Chugach National Forest and Chugach National Forest Avalanche Information Center websites: